What is a Ransomware Scam?
Ransomware scams use a type of malware that blocks or limits access to your computer or files and demands a ransom be paid in order for them to be unlocked.
Infected computers often display messages to attempt to convince you to pay the ransom. However, if you pay the ransom, there is no guarantee your computer will be unlocked.
What to look out for?
- Do not open attachments or click on links in emails or social media messages you’ve received from strangers – just press delete.
- If you want to access footage or information about major or breaking news, use a reliable news source rather than an unknown web link.
- Be wary of free downloads and website access, such as music, games, movies, and adult sites, as they may install harmful programs without you knowing.
- Always keep your computer’s security up to date with anti-virus and anti-spyware software, and a good firewall. Only purchase new hardware and anti-virus software from a reputable source.
- Use your security software to run a virus check if you think your computer’s security has been compromised. If you still have doubts, contact our support team.
- Keep your office networks, computers, and mobile devices secure. Update your security software, change passwords and back up your data regularly. Store your backups offsite and offline. Stay Smart Online explains how to back-up your data and secure your mobile devices.
How can OAS help?
OAS Cyber Security Resiliency and Awareness Training
Our interactive training delivers stimulating and engaging learning experiences to your employees. We will equip them with the tools and resources they need to be successful, and active participants in the Cyber Security process.
OAS Phishing Simulator
Phishing Simulation programs help protect your organisation by exposing employees to fake phishing emails and assessing how they react. When testing is used in conjunction with training, businesses can gauge the effectiveness of their Cyber Security awareness efforts.
By implementing Multifactor Authentication, if an attacker manages to steal one proof of identity (such as your PIN, username or password), they will also need to obtain and use the authorisation token on your account.
OAS Cyber Security Suite
OAS Cyber Security Suite provides holistic Enterprise Security, partnering with Cisco, the world leader in Cyber Security.
Next Generation Firewall
Nest Generation Firewalls deliver consistent protection across your entire network, including headquarters, office campuses, mobile and remote workforces, branch offices, and data centers.
OAS Breach Notification Offering
We provide organisational alerting for post-breach data exposures. OAS provides practical advice for businesses following a credential breach.
Vulnerability Management (and Vulnerability Management as a Service) assists businesses with comprehensively rating, prioritising, and protecting business assets in the face of the ever-evolving threat landscape.
Cyber Security Maturity Assessment
OAS Technology can help your business not only understand your posture but also ensure you are on the right path to addressing your Cyber Security Resiliency.
General Tips to Protect Yourself
Remember, everyone can be targeted.
Scammers can obtain your phone number fraudulently or from anywhere it has been publicly listed. Your private details could also be exposed through a third-party data-breach.
You can still receive scam calls even if you have a private number or have listed your number on the Australian Government’s Do Not Call Register.
Undertake software updates.
Always keep your computer up-to-date with the latest software updates, anti-virus software, and a good firewall.
Protect your details.
Never give your credit card or online account details over the phone unless you made the call and you’re calling a phone number from a trusted source (like the organisation’s official website).
Never give a stranger remote access to your computer, even if they claim to be from a well-known business.
If your business needs assistance with setting up a Cyber Security Strategy, chat with your Account Manager today. Contact us on 02 4940 1800 or email [email protected]
The OAS Technology Team
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HOW WE CAN HELP YOUR BUSINESS?
Speak to our experienced team today
At OAS Technology, we will make sure we will find a solution to suit your business and your n
Speak to a consultant
At OAS Technology, we will make sure we will find a solution to suit your business and your needs.